Prof. Michael O. Hottiger new acting director of IVBMB as of 1. February 2014
Michael O. Hottiger (Prof. Dr. med. vet. et phil. II) was born in Zurich (Switzerland), where he studied Veterinary Medicine and Molecular Biology (both at UZH). He then moved to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, USA), before accepting a position as principal investigator at the IVBMB in 1998. He was promoted to associate professor for Molecular Biology in 2002 (Extraordinarius) and full professor in 2007 (Ordinarius ad personam). Since 2012, he is a Member of the Swiss National Research Council (Forschungsrat).
He chairs the Molecular Life Sciences Ph.D. Program, one of the largest programs of the Life Science Zurich Graduate School (LSZGS), jointly hosted by the UZH and the ETH Zurich.
In 2001, he received the Dr. Ernst Th. Jucker Award and in 2004, the PHOENIX Pharmazie-Wissenschaftspreis. He also received an award «New Entrepreneurs in Technology and Science» by the Gerbert Rüf Foundation.
He is a co-founder of DUALSYSTEMS Biotech AG, and a founding member and member of the steering committee of the UZH interfaculty center of competency “Center of Applied Biotechnology and Molecular Medicine (CABMM)”.
The research in Michael O. Hottiger’s group focuses on the molecular mechanisms of NF-κB-dependent gene expression in inflammation - from basic principles to translational application.
- The Dutch Research Council (NOW) awarded a 2 year Rubicon grant to Dr. Yannick Kok for his project DNA repair: wrong place, wrong time
- Award Ceremony and Lectures Dr. Ernst Th. Jucker Preis 2019/2020 for Important Contributions to Cancer Research
- The project of the MSRU “Human-Horse Interaction” was awarded the “Prize for Educational Innovations” ”from the Hans-Peter Frey Foundation
- Kaivalya Walavalkar received the prestigious EMBO postdoctoral fellowship
- Scott Finlay PhD and Salim Darwiche PhD awarded first prize for best investor pitch, presenting their marketable product for cartilage repair
- Congratulations to SNSF Prof. Dr. Matthias Altmeyer for being appointed Associate Professor
- Congratulations to Prof.em. Dr. Brigitte von Rechenberg for obtaining ORS 2020 Women’s Leadership Forum Award
- Stephanie Lüthi receives semester price 2019 from VSF
- Prof. Dr. Tuncay Baubec receives ERC Consolidator Grant
- Ramon Pfändler receives semester price from MNF
- Nina Schmolka receives SNF Ambizione Fellowship
- New paper from group M. Altmeyer online in EMBO journal
- Molecular biologist Tuncay Baubec received the renowned Georg Friedrich Götz Award
- Preisgekrönte Nachwuchsforschung
- Verlängerung SNF Förderungsprofessur von Prof. Dr. Tuncay Baubec
- Erfolgsmeldung aus dem Department of Molecular Mechanisms of Disease
- Proteinveränderungen weisen auf Krebs hin
- Mass spectrometry method provides first view of stress-induced extracellular protein modification in cells and tissues
- Tumor Therapy of the Future
- Measuring the Effects of Drugs on Cancer Cells
- Prolongation of SNSF Professorship for Prof. Dr. Matthias Altmeyer
- Raffaella Santoro received the prestigious ERC advanced grant
- Article in UZH Magazin about Matthias Altmeyer on his work "Krebszellen im Burnout"
- Successful and stimulating 3rd Joint Department Colloquium (JDC) of the DMMD
- Important Mechanism of Epigenetic Gene Regulation Identified
- UZH press release on the work of Santoro and Cinelli groups on stem cell pluripotency in Nature Cell Biology
- Professorial appointment process successfully completed
- SNF Prof. Dr. Matthias Altmeyer receives highly prestigious ERC Starting Grant
- Dr. Francisco Verdeguer new group leader at DMMD
- Prof. Dr. Raffaella Santoro elected as new EMBO member
- Dr. Sandra Frommel from the Santoro group receives Jahrespreis of the Vetsuisse Faculty
- Group van Loon publishes on the impact of ribonucleotide incorporation on DNA base excision repair in Nature Communications
- Dr. Barbara van Loon appointed to Associate Professor position at the Norwegian University for Science and Technology
- IVBMB is now Department of Molecular Mechanisms of Disease (DMMD)
- Group Hottiger publishes on identification of genome-wide chromatin ADP-riboslyation in Molecular Cell
- Group Altmeyer publishes on intracellular phase separation in Nature Communications
- IVBMB now also associated with Faculty of Science (MNF)
- Dr. Tuncay Baubec awarded SNF-professorship to be carried out at the IVBMB
- Group Santoro awarded for Cell Stem Cell Cover Page
- Group Santoro publishes major study on predictive marker of prostate cancer recurrence in Nature Genetics
- Dr. Matthias Altmeyer awarded SNF-professorship to be carried out at the IVBMB